NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S
An ultra-wide field of view along with a sleek form factor, the NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S from Nikon is a versatile prime well-suited to a range of subject types, from architecture to interiors to landscapes. An advanced optical design uses aspherical and ED elements to produce sharp, well-corrected imagery with high clarity and color accuracy, and both Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings are also used to suppress flare and ghosting for greater color fidelity and higher contrast.
Complementing the optical design, a multi-focus system, which employs two stepping motors, helps to realize impressively fast, accurate, and quiet focus performance, along with full-time manual focus override, to suit both stills and video needs. Additionally, a programmable control ring can be set for intuitive adjustment over a variety of camera and exposure settings.
- Prime wide-angle lens is designed for FX-format Z-mount mirrorless cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it provides a 30mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture suits working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers increased control over depth of field.
- Three aspherical elements are used to reduce spherical aberrations and distortion in order to realize sharp imagery with accurate rendering.
- Three extra-low dispersion elements greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range in order to produce greater clarity and color rendering.
- A Nano Crystal Coat, along with a Super Integrated Coating, has been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Multi-focus system incorporates two separate AF drive units, which are synchronized, to deliver especially fast and accurate focusing performance. This system uses stepping motors, which offer impressively smooth and quiet autofocus qualities, that are well-suited to both stills and video applications. Full-time manual focus override is also possible and an internal focusing design is used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Programmable Control Ring is, by default, set to adjust manual focus, but can also be used to control aperture or exposure compensation.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant lens barrel benefits the lens' use in inclement conditions.
Nikon Z mount
14 elements in 11 groups (including 3 ED elements, 3 aspherical elements, and elements with Nano Crystal Coat)
Angle of view
FX format: 94° DX format: 70°
Internal focusing system
Minimum focus distance
0.2 m ( 0.66 ft) from focal plane
Maximum reproduction ratio
No. of diaphragm blades
9 ( rounded diaphragm opening )
Nano Crystal Coat
77 mm (P = 0.75 mm)
Approx. 84.5 mm (3.4 in.) maximum diameter x 108.5 mm (4.3 in.) (distance from camera lens mount flange)
Approx. 505 g (1 lb 1.9 oz)
LC-77B Lens Cap (front cap), LF-N1 Lens Cap (rear cap), HB-95 Lens Hood, CL-C1 Lens Case