RF1200mm f/8L IS USM
Ultra Telephoto Reimagined
Weighing only at approximately 3,340g, the RF1200mm f/8L IS USM has revolutionised what a lens of this focal length could be. It is smaller and much lighter than its EF equivalent. Moreover, this lens is packed with features like image stabilisation of up to 4 shutter stops for that impeccable image quality that a professional would expect.
- Image stabilisation of up to 4 stops with three IS modes
- Supports high-speed shooting of EOS R system with 1/8 step aperture control for movie recording
- Dust-& drip-resistant with vibration & shock resistance
Air Sphere Coating
Utilising the unique Air Sphere Coating (ASC) technology, the RF1200mm f/8L IS USM can suppress ghosting by reducing the reflectivity of light entering from a large angle of incidence and vertically.
Super UD Lens
The RF1200mm f/8L IS USM can produce superior image quality with minimal colour fringing from edge to edge of the frame using UD and Super UD Lens.
The RF1200mm f/8L IS USM produces high quality images with minimal chromatic aberration through the use of fluorite lenses.
Optimised Lens Design
The elements are arranged in a way that significantly improves image quality. It also allows the lens design to be more compact and lightweight.
Extending Your Vision
Designed as a native RF mount lens, the RF1200mm f/8L IS USM is compatible with the Extender RF 1.4x and Extender RF 2x.
Bolstering the lens's reach up to 1680mm and 2400mm, the RF1200mm f/8L IS USM provides flexibility and convenience of shooting further with just one lens.
Size & Weight Reduction
Canon has revolutionised the ultra telephoto lens through the lens design by introducing innovative optics arrangements and a high-strength alloy lens barrel. The RF1200mm f/8L IS USM is 299mm shorter than its EF equivalent, and it is approximately 13.16kg lighter.
The built-in Optical Image Stabilizer (Optical IS) provides image stabilisation of up to 4 shutter speed stops. The Optical IS enables shots previously not possible handheld, ensuring tack sharp images even when shooting in low-light.
- IS Mode 1 for stationary subjects
- IS Mode 2 for panning shoots
- IS Mode 3 for subjects with unpredictable movement
High-speed continuous shooting of up to 30fps is supported when paired with compatible EOS R cameras using the electronic shutter.
Aperture control of 1/8 step provides smooth, gradual transitions from dark areas to bright areas.
Assign these Lens Function Buttons to toggle AF between functions, adjust exposure, activate Image Stabilizer or switch between focus or control ring functions.
Focus Control Functions
A. Focus Presets
- Up to two presets
- Set to focus at a predetermined distance
B. Manual Focus Speed
- Three steps
- Allows finer control when manual focusing
C. Power Focus Mode
- Two steps
- Offers smooth focus movement for video
A dust- and drip-resistant construction all around keep dust and water droplets out.
The mechanical structure is engineered to provide the lens high durability with resistance to vibration and shock.
Smudge-resistant fluorine coating on the front lens prevents moisture and oil from sticking.
The signature Canon heat-shield white coating prevents overheating in hot weather.
- Angle of View (Diagonal) : 02°05′
- Angle of View (Horizontal) : 01°45′
- Angle of View (Vertical) : 01°10′
- Closest Focusing Distance (m, ft) : 4.3 / 14.1
- Construction (Groups Elements) : 18,26
- Diameter x Length (mm) (Approx.) : 168 × 537
- Distance Scale : -
- Drive System Ring : USM
- Filter Size (mm) : 52 (drop-in filter)
- Max. Magnification (x) : 0.29
- Min. Aperture : 64
- No. of Diaphragm Blades : 9
- Anti-dust and Moisture : Yes
- Weight (g) (Approx.) : 3340
- Accessories (Lens Cap) E-185C
- Accessories (Lens Hood) ET-160 (WIII) / ET160B(sold separately)
- Accessories (Lens Bag) LS1200