DEITY V-Mic D3 Directional Condenser Shotgun Microphone
Designed to provide a noteworthy improvement in sound quality over microphones built into cameras, smartphones, and portable recorders, the Deity Microphones V-Mic D3 is a camera-mount shotgun microphone offering directional audio capture and broad device compatibility for mobile journalists, vloggers, YouTubers, and run-and-gun videographers.
With a built-in microprocessor that automatically configures its TRRS connector to work with most 3.5mm mic input jacks, the V-Mic D3 is compatible with a variety of DSLRs, camcorders, mobile devices, and portable audio recorders. Attachment to your camera, boompole, or tripod is simple and efficient using the supplied Rycote adjustable shockmount and 3.5mm TRRS coiled cable.
The V-Mic D3 is powered primarily by a single AAA alkaline, NiMH, or lithium battery; plug-in power (bias voltage) from your camera or mixer is only required to turn on/off the mic. Automatic power saving conserves battery life by entering standby mode when your camera or device is turned off. The lightweight aluminum body is finished in a low-reflection paint, ensuring that it won't weigh down your camera or induce distracting glare.
You Should Know
Some TRS-equipped cameras from Blackmagic, Fuji, and Olympus require a 3.5mm TRS cable (available separately) for operational compatibility.
Auto-Configuring 3.5mm Connector
The V-Mic D3 incorporates a microprocessor that automatically adapts its 3.5mm TRRS connector to work with most 3.5mm microphone jacks. Out of the box, the V-Mic D3 is compatible with many DSLRs, camcorders, smartphones and tablets (late-model iOS devices require Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter), portable audio recorders, bodypack transmitters, and laptops. Visit the Deity Microphones website to see a comprehensive list of compatible devices.
Low Off-Axis Coloration
The V-Mic D3's supercardioid pickup pattern remains similar across essential frequencies, yielding low off-axis coloration. Novice and experienced videographers can capture consistent audio quality when dealing with sources that vary their positions.
Thanks to the 14mm condenser capsule and low-noise, low-distortion electronics, the V-Mic D3 provides clean audio with a high signal-to-noise ratio, which means less time spent in post-production processing your tracks with noise-reduction software.
Long Battery Life
The V-Mic D3 uses a single AAA battery (alkaline, NiMH rechargeable, or lithium) for power and features a one-button on/off switch. When turned on, the microphone is ready in standby mode; it automatically goes into run mode when your camera or device turns on. This also allows you to save battery on your microphone when you turn your camera off.
A single alkaline AAA battery yields up to 166 hours of run time, whereas a lithium AAA battery provides up to 208 hours of operating time. The power switch and power LED indicate aid in power management; the LED will be green when the V-Mic D3 is on or red when power is low.
The Rycote shockmount supports attachment to a camera shoe mount, boompole, or tripod, and it minimizes the transfer of vibrations by decoupling the mic from your camera or stand. The included foam windscreen reduces noise from HVAC systems and light wind. For enhanced protection against wind noise in outdoor shoots, use a windjammer such as the Rycote 7cm Classic-Softie windshield (available separately).
Deity Microphones V-Mic D3 Specs
- Form Factor Stand/Boom-Mount
- Sound Field Mono
- Operating Principle Pressure Gradient
- Capsule Condenser
- Diaphragm 0.55" / 14 mm
- Polar Pattern Supercardioid
- Orientation End Address
- Circuitry Solid-State
- Pad None
- High-Pass Filter None
- Tone Adjustment None
- Indicators Single LED (Power)
- On-Board Controls On/Off
- Windscreen Foam (Included)
- Frequency Range 50 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL 130 dB SPL (1 kHz, 1% THD, 1-Kilohm Load)
- Off-Axis Rejection 3 dB at 60°
- 10 dB at 120°
- 15 dB at 180°
- Impedance 200 Ohms
- Sensitivity -35 dBV/Pa at 1 kHz
- Dynamic Range 114 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio 78 dB (1 kHz)
- THD < 0.1%
- Output Connectors 1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRRS
- Wireless Connectivity None
- Operating Voltage Not Specified by Manufacturer
- Operating Current Consumption 6 mA (Battery Power)
- Battery Type 1 x AAA
- Approximate Battery Life 166 Hours
- Color Black
- Mounting 1/4"-20 Female, 3/8"-16 Female, Camera-Mount, Shockmount (with Included Hardware)
- Construction Material Aluminum
- Storage Temperature 14 to 102°F / -10 to 70°C
- Certifications CE, RoHS, as per Manufacturer
- Dimensions ø: 0.83 x L: 5.91" / ø: 21 x L: 150 mm
- Weight 1.71 oz / 48.4 g (Microphone)
- 4.44 oz / 125.8 g (with Mount)
- Packaging Info
- Package Weight 0.595 lb
- Box Dimensions (LxWxH) 8.15 x 4.7 x 3.05"
- DEITY V-Mic D3 Directional Condenser Shotgun Microphone
- Transducer Principles
- Pre-Polarized Condenser
- Dynamic Range
- 114dB (per IEC651)
- Pick Up Pattern
- Super Cardioid
- 130dB SPL (@1KHZ, 1%THD into 1kΩ)
- Frequency Range
- 50HZ ~ 20KHZ (selected HPF @75Hz/150Hz)
- Output Impedance
- Low Cut Frequency
- 75HZ, 150HZ
- -24dB~-44dB re1V/Pa
- Battery Capacity
- Signal to Noise Ratio
- 84dB @-24dB sensitivity (re 1V/[email protected])
- φ21 x 189mm
- Battery Time
- Lithium Battery: >51h
- Output Port
- Smart 3.5mm TRRS
- Housing Material
- Aluminum Metal