Firecrest 13 & 16 Filters
Firecrest ND is a revolutionary new type of ND filter from Formatt-Hitech. These filters use the new Firecrest ND coating technology to produce a super-dark 13 and 16 stop ND filters that are both very neutral and block infrared contamination. Firecrest is a rare earth metal coating used to create hyper neutral NDs. Firecrest Filters are neutral across all spectrums, including UV, visible, and infrared.
- 13 stops is popular when photographing near the sea where 2-3 minute exposures are ideal for transforming fast moving clouds and turbulent water into ethereal masterpieces.
- 16 stops is the most popular density for long exposure photographers, who typically make exposures of 5-8 minutes.
Intro to Neutral Density
Neutral Density (ND) filters are the essential filters for digital photography and cinematography. ND filters reduce the amount of light entering the camera and allow the photographer to create the following effects:
- Ethereal waterfalls and streams
- Flat water effect in oceans and lakes
- Streaky clouds
- Motion blur in sports
- Long exposures to remove people from public areas
- Shallow depth of field using fast lenses wide-open
- Adjusting aperture for cinematography
About Formatt Hitech Firecrest IRND Filters
Firecrest ND is a quantum leap improvement over all previous generation ND and IRND products and represents the technological state of the art in scientific light modification. These glass filters are hyper-neutral across the visible light spectrum and also remove more IR contamination than any other filter - making them IRND filters. Firecrest is a radical departure in how ND filters are manufactured. Previous generation NDs were made by dying resin. Firecrest is not a dying process, it is a rare earth metal coating process that is applied directly to the glass through an electrolytic process. On rectangular filters, the Firecrest coating is sandwiched between the finest Schott Superwite optical glass, increasing scratch resistance and longevity. Firecrest reduces all spectrums of light (UV, visible, near infrared and infrared) almost perfectly evenly.
Firecrest ND Filter Specs
- 2mm Firecrest filters fit the full range of Formatt-Hitech aluminum holders as well as the Lucroit 100mm and 165mm holder systems.
- Circular ND filters are made from Schott Superwite glass and feature stackable 5.5mm SuperSlim rings.
- Firecrest filters are supplied in durable clamshell packaging.
- 2mm filters in densities of 7 stops and higher also include a foam gasket which can be attached to prevent light leaks.