Intro to Neutral Density
Neutral Density (ND) filters are the essential filters for digital photography and cinematography. ND filters reduce the amount of light entering the camera and allow the photographer to create the following effects:
- Ethereal waterfalls and streams
- Flat water effect in oceans and lakes
- Streaky clouds
- Motion blur in sports
- Long exposures to remove people from public areas
- Shallow depth of field using fast lenses wide-open
- Adjusting aperture for cinematography
About Formatt Hitech Firecrest IRND Filters
Firecrest ND is a quantum leap improvement over all previous generation ND and IRND products and represents the technological state of the art in scientific light modification. These glass filters are hyper-neutral across the visible light spectrum and also remove more IR contamination than any other filter - making them IRND filters. Firecrest is a radical departure in how ND filters are manufactured. Previous generation NDs were made by dying resin. Firecrest is not a dying process, it is a rare earth metal coating process that is applied directly to the glass through an electrolytic process. On rectangular filters, the Firecrest coating is sandwiched between the finest Schott Superwite optical glass, increasing scratch resistance and longevity. Firecrest reduces all spectrums of light (UV, visible, near infrared and infrared) almost perfectly evenly.
We manufacture our high quality aluminum rings to the most demanding tolerances, and these exceptionally slim rings minimize the chance of vignetting. SuperSlim rings are only 5.5mm thin and have threads for stacking.
Firecrest ND Filter Specs
- These circular ND filters are made from Schott Superwite glass and feature stackable 5.5mm SuperSlim rings.
- Circular Firecrest ND filters feature antireflective and hydrophobic multicoating.
- Firecrest filters are supplied in durable clamshell packaging.