FUJIFILM GFX 50S Body
Characterized by its large sensor, advanced imaging capabilities, and modular design, the GFX 50S from FUJIFILM is a unique medium format mirrorless camera that is highly versatile and distinctly portable. At the heart of the GFX camera system is the 43.8 x 32.9mm 51.4MP CMOS sensor, which pairs with the X-Processor Pro image processor to produce files with extremely wide dynamic range and high resolution, as well as an extended sensitivity range of ISO 50-102400 for working in difficult lighting conditions. The sensor's large form factor also achieves a unique three-dimensional look with especially smooth tonal and color transitions. Beyond this, the sensor and processor combination also avails the ability to work in a variety of aspect ratios common to traditional large and medium format film cameras, as well as the ability to shoot at up to 3 fps or record Full HD 1080p/30 video. As forward-thinking as the GFX 50S is, its use of film-camera inspired design imbues it with intuitive operation and the ability to apply the camera system to myriad styles and methods of image-making.
Complementing the imaging assets is a truly versatile physical design that champions multiple ways of working with the camera. A removable 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder can be used for high-resolution eye-level viewing, and can be paired with an optional tilt adapter to permit working with the finder from various working angles. Alternatively, the rear 3.2" 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD features a three-way tilting design that supports working from high and low angles, even when shooting in the vertical orientation. Operability is further reinforced through the use of several dedicated dials for adjusting exposure settings, and a top LCD screen is also featured for quickly checking settings and exposure data. Additionally, the GFX 50S sports a magnesium alloy build that is both lightweight and durable, and is also dust- and weather-sealed, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, for working in trying environmental conditions.
51.4MP CMOS Sensor and X-Processor Pro
Utilizing a large, 43.8 x 32.9mm 51.4MP CMOS sensor and X-Processor Pro, the GFX 50S is capable of delivering high-resolution, 14-bit stills with a 14-stop wide dynamic range as well as a broad sensitivity range of ISO 100-12800, which can be extended to ISO 50-102400. The large size of each pixel allows for more efficient light gathering, too, for smoother tonal and color transitions to produce a characteristic three-dimensional "medium format look." Also contributing to several medium format looks, a variety of traditional medium and large format aspect ratios can be used in addition to the standard 4:3, including 1:1, 65:24, 5:4, 7:6, 3:2, and 16:9.
The image processor and sensor also lend a versatile edge to the system, and permit shooting continuously up to 3 fps or for recording Full HD 1080p video at 29.97, 25, 24, and 23.98 fps frame rates. Film Simulation modes, including a Color Chrome Effect to produce subtle tonality among highly saturated colors, can be used in conjunction with video recording, too, to lessen the need for color correction during post production.
- Magnesium alloy body construction is both lightweight and durable, and the camera system is sealed in 58 places to render it weather- and dust-resistant, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, for use in inclement conditions.
- Based on a modular concept, a removable 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder is included for high-resolution, 0.85x-magnification eye-level viewing, and can be paired with an optional EVF-TL1 Tilt Adapter for positioning the finder at a variety of working angles.
- The removable EVF connects with the camera body via the hot shoe, and the EVF features its own hot shoe to maintain compatibility with optional external flashes.
- A 3.2" 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD is also available for image playback, menu navigation, and live view shooting. This LCD features a unique tilting design that moves both 45° downward and 90° upward for shooting from high and low angles, and also tilts 60° to the side to benefit shooting in the vertical orientation when in live view.
- A series of dedicated dials are placed about the body for independently adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
- The aperture ring on GF lenses and the ISO dial on the camera feature a C (Command) position, and the Shutter Speed dial has a T position, to enable adjusting these settings via the front and rear control dials.
- A 1.28" sub LCD monitor is also featured on the top plate for settings confirmation and exposure data.
- Included NP-T125 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 400 shots per charge when Auto Power Save is on.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows for direct wireless sharing of files as well as remote camera control from a linked mobile device.
117-Point Autofocus System
A contrast-detection autofocus system is employed that uses 117 total points, which can be further divided into 425 points, for notable focusing speed and accuracy that is especially beneficial when working with the inherent shallow depth of field of medium format. Focus point selection is possible using the integrated Focus Lever for intuitive switching between points and, alternatively, the rear touchscreen can also be used for selecting precise focus areas. Face and Eye Detection AF are also available to benefit portraiture, and an electronic depth of field scale can be used for more critical selective focus. Additionally, focus peaking is available in manual focus mode as well as frame magnification for more critical focusing.
Other Camera Features
- The FUJIFILM G lens mount features a short focal flange distance of just 26.7mm to better facilitate adapting lenses and to allow for reduced back focusing distances to better prevent vignetting and promote edge-to-edge sharpness with the GF series of lenses.
- Film Simulation modes allow you to reproduce the look and feel of several of FUJIFILM's film types, including Provia, Velvia, Astia, Eterna, Classic Chrome, Classic Neg., Pro Neg. Hi, Pro Neg. Standard, Acros, Monochrome, and Sepia. Additionally, Grain Effect can be adjusted as well as Classic Chrome effect to fine-tune the look of imagery.
- Smooth Skin Effect helps to disguise blemishes and produce an overall smooth appearance to suit portraiture applications.
- Mechanical focal plane permits working with shutter speeds from 60 min. up to 1/4000 sec., and an electronic shutter allows the use of shutter speeds up to 1/16000 sec. for working in bright light conditions.
- Interval shooting is possible for up to 999 consecutive frames with a 1 sec. to 24 hour delay between exposures, as well as up to a 24 hours shutter delay.
- Multiple Exposure mode lets you shoot two consecutive overlaid frames, and the first frame will be shown on the rear LCD to aid in alignment for the second exposure.
- Dual UHS-II SD memory card slots are featured, and permit saving imagery in a sequential manner, backup/duplicate manner, or in a sorted manner to segregate JPEG and raw files.
- A variety of file formats are available depending on your workflow needs, and include uncompressed and compressed raw file types; Super Fine, Fine, and Normal JPEG settings; and TIFF files can be output via in-camera raw file development.
- A voice memo function lets you solely record your voice for up to 30 seconds at a time for making notes or keeping track of shooting information.
- 3D Electronic Level can be used to ensure the accuracy of horizontal and vertical lines within your composition.
- Tethered shooting is possible using X Acquire software to send images from the camera to a hot folder on your computer for further editing. Alternatively, the Tether Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and HS-V5 for Windows operating systems are also available.
|Model Name||FUJIFILM GFX 50S|
|Number of effective pixels||51.4 million pixels|
|Image sensor||43.8mm x 32.9mm Bayer array with primary color filter
|Storage media||SD Card (-2G) / SDHC Card (-32G) / SDXC Card (-256G) UHS-I / UHS-II*1|
|Number of recorded pixels||L: (4:3) 8256 x 6192 / (3:2) 8256 x 5504 / (16:9)8256 x 4640 / (1:1) 6192 x 6192 (65:24)8256 x 3048 / (5:4) 7744 x 6192 / (7:6) 7232 x 6192
S: (4:3) 4000 x 3000 / (3:2)4000 x 2664 / (16:9)4000 x 2248 / (1:1) 2992 x 2992 (65:24)4000 x 1480 / (5:4) 3744 x 3000 / (7:6) 3504 x 3000
|Lens mount||FUJIFILM G mount|
|Sensitivity||Standard Output Sensitivity : AUTO1 / AUTO2 / AUTO3 (up to ISO12800) / ISO100-12800 (1/3 step)
Extended output sensitivity : ISO50 / 25600 / 51200 / 102400
|Exposure control||TTL 256-zone metering, Multi / Spot / Average / Center Weighted|
|Exposure mode||P(Program AE) / A(Aperture Priority AE) / S(Shutter Speed Priority AE) / M(Manual Exposure)|
|Exposure compensation||-5.0EV - +5.0EV, 1/3EV step
(movie recording : -2.0EV - +2.0EV)
|Image Stabilizer||Supported with OIS type lenses|
|Shutter type||Focal Plane Shutter|
|Continuous shooting||Approx. 3.0 fps ( JPEG：Endless Lossless compression RAW : 13 Frames Uncompressed RAW : 8 Frames)
*When Using the Electronic Front Curtain Shutter
Approx. 1.8 fps ( JPEG : Endless Lossless Compression RAW : Endless Uncompressed RAW : 8 Frames)
|Auto bracketing||AE Bracketing (2/3/5/7/9 frames) ±1/3EV - ±3EV, 1/3EV step
Film Simulation Bracketing (Any 3 types of film simulation selectable)
Dynamic Range Bracketing (100%, 200%, 400%)
ISO sensitivity Bracketing (±1/3EV, ±2/3EV, ±1EV)
White Balance Bracketing (±1, ±2, ±3)
Focus Bracketing (Interval, Number of shots, 10 step)*5
|White balance||Automatic scene recognition / Custom / Color temperature selection (K) / Preset : Daylight, Shade, Fluorescent light (Daylight), Fluorescent light (Warm White), Fluorescent light (Cool White), Incandescent light, Underwater|
|Self-timer||10sec. / 2sec.|
|Interval timer shooting||Yes (Setting : Interval, Number of shots, Starting time)|
*When EF-X500 is set
|Hot shoe||Yes (Dedicated TTL Flash compatible)|
|Viewfinder||0.5 inch Approx. 3.69 millions dots OLED Color Viewfinder Coverage of Viewing Area vs. Capturing Area : Approx. 100%
Eyepoint: Approx. 23mm (from the Rear End of the Camera's Eyepiece) , Diopter Adjustment: -4 - +2m-1
Magnification: 0.85x with 50mm Lens (35mm Equivalent) at infinity and Diopter set to -1.0m-1
Diagonal Angle of View: Approx. 40° (Horizontal Angle of View: Approx. 33° )
Built-In Eye Sensor
|LCD monitor||3.2 inch, Aspect Ratio 4:3,
Approx. 2,360K-dot Tilt-Type, Touch Screen Color LCD Monitor (Approx. 100% Coverage)
|Movie recording||[Full HD (1920x1080)] 29.97p / 25p / 24p / 23.98p 36Mbps up to Approx. 30 min.
[HD (1280x720)] 29.97p / 25p / 24p / 23.98p 18Mbps up to Approx. 30min.
|Photography functions||Color, Sharpness, Highlight tone, Shadow tone, Noise reduction, Long exposure NR, Lens Modulation Optimizer, Color space, Pixel mapping, Select custom setting, Edit/Save custom setting, Store AF mode by orientation, Rapid AF, AF point display, Pre-AF, Face/Eye detection AF, AF+MF, Focus peak highlight, Focus check, Interlock spot AE & focus area, Instant AF setting (AF-S/AF-C), Depth-of-field scale, Release/Focus priority, Touch screen mode, Mount adapter setting, 35mm Format Mode*5, Red eye removal, Movie AF mode, RGB Histogram, Highlight alert, Electronic level, Preview depth of field, AE lock, AF lock, AF-ON, Multiple exposure|
|Touch Screen Mode||
|Film Simulation mode||15 modes ( PROVIA / Standard, Velvia / Vivid, ASTIA / Soft, CLASSIC CHROME, PRO Neg.Hi, PRO Neg.Std, Black&White, Black&White+Ye Filter, Black&White+R Filter, Black&White+Gfilter, Sepia, ACROS, ACROS+Ye Filter, ACROS＋R Filter, ACROS＋G Filter )|
|Grain Effect||STRONG, WEAK, OFF|
|Color Chrome Effect||STRONG, WEAK, OFF|
|Dynamic range setting||AUTO, 100%, 200%, 400%|
|Playback functions||Switch slot, RAW conversion, Erase, Erase selected frames, Crop, Resize, Protect, Image rotate, Red eye removal, Voice memo setting, Copy, Photobook assist, Multi-frame playback (with micro thumbnail), Favorites, RGB histogram, Highlight alert|
|Wireless function||Geotagging, Wireless communication (Image transfer), View & Obtain Images, Remote camera shooting, instax printer print|
|Other functions||Exif Print, Date/Time, Time difference, 35 Languages, My menu setting, Sensor cleaning, Battery age, Sound set-up, EVF brightness, EVF color, LCD brightness, LCD color, Image disp, Auto rotate displays, Preview exp./WB in manual mode, Preview pic. effect, Framing guideline, Autorotate PB, Focus scale units, Disp. custom setting, Sub monitor setting, Focus lever setting, Edit/Save Quick menu, Function(Fn) setting, Selector button setting, Command dial setting, S.S. operation*6, Shutter AF, Shutter AE, Shoot without lens, Shoot without card*6, Focus ring, AE/AF-Lock mode, Expo. Comp. button setting, Touch screen setting, Lock, Auto power off, Shooting stand by mode, Auto power save, Frame No., Save org image, Edit file name, Card slot setting, Switch slot, Movie file destination, Copyright Info|
|Power supply||NP-T125 Li-ion battery (included)
|Dimensions||147.5mm (W) x 94.2mm (H) x 91.4mm (D) / 5.81in. (W) x 3.71in. (H) x 3.60in. (D)
(Minimum Depth : 41.6mm / 1.64in.)
|Weight||Approx. 825g / 29.1 oz. (including battery and memory card), Approx 920g / 32.5 oz. (including EVF)
Approx. 740g / 26.1 oz. (excluding accessories, battery and memory card)
|Operating Temperature||-10°C - +40°C (+14°F - +104°F)C|
|Operating Humidity||10 - 80% (no condensation)|
|Starting up period||Approx 0.4sec.
|Accessories included||Li-ion battery NP-T125
Battery charger BC-T125
Metal strap clip
Metal strap clip lock
Interchangeable electronic view finder EVF-GFX1
Hot shoe cover(Body/EVF)
Vertical Battery Grip connector cover
Sync terminal cover